Avocados and Figs with Poached Chicken in a Spinach Salad
We had huge salads for dinner, in line with our goal of eating healthy foods throughout June. I poach my chicken often so it is easy and the chicken always turns out tender. Dinner-size salad is the best choice when you’ve got a hodge-podge of foods in your refrigerator and cabinets. A complete meal can be achieved by combining nuts, veggies, fruit (fresh or dried), and some protein. Adding cheese, however, takes it over the top for me.
I love this dressing because it is delicious and low in calories and fat. This dressing is sweet and has a slight vinegar tinge. Those crispy bits really added to the salad and they complemented the ingredients perfectly.
Figs and Avocados with Spinach Salad
The total time spent on the activity was 20 minutes.
This serves: 2
These are the ingredients:
- Two chicken breasts, chopped chicken
- Chop four cups of spinach, arugula, or mixed greens
- Half a cup of cherry tomatoes
- Half a cucumber, peeled, sliced
- One large avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup grated goat cheese, feta cheese, or gorgonzola cheese.
- Two tablespoons of toasted pine nuts
- Cut 8 dried figs in half and remove their stems
- One and a half tablespoons sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Half Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Seasoned black pepper and salt, to taste
The directions are as follows:
- Bring to a boil two chicken breasts in a medium-large saucepan with water. Cover with the lid. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook the chicken in a low-boil mode for 15 minutes. Drain. Let the chicken cool completely while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Add the spinach/arugula to the salad bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients.
- The chicken should be sliced into strips and added to the salad. Whisk together all the salad dressing ingredients. Toss half the dressing with the salad, then divide between two plates and drizzle the remaining dressing over the salad.