Recently, I was looking for quick and healthy appetizers to serve at my friend Darcy’s bon voyage party. It was an afternoon picnic, so I could not just serve chips and cookies. Darcy is very health conscious and believes in watching what she eats and taking care of herself, so I couldn’t just serve chips and cookies to her. When I showed her a photo I had seen on Pinterest of these kabobs, she fell in love with the idea!
These were extremely easy to put together, and I wasn’t so careful to use only the perfect size basil leaves. The cheese was rolled in salt and pepper to add flavor as well. I doubled over large ones as needed. I served mine with a lovely green goddess dip, but they were also delicious just by themselves in a vase. They were a fun, healthy, and easy to gobble down.
Caprese Kebab Appetizers
Adapted from Everyday Cooking Adventures, 2015.
The dish serves 10 people as an appetiser.
Overall Time: 10 minutes
The following ingredients are used:
- A total of 14 wooden or metal skewers are required.
- Fourteen fresh basil leaves, rinsed and dried
- Fourteen bocconcini, small mozzarella balls
- Rinsed and dried 14 cherry tomatoes
- Fresh ground black pepper and salt
The directions are as follows:
- Roll the bocconcini once in a small plate of fresh cracked black pepper and salt until they are coated slightly.
- Pierce the skewers with one basil leaf, one bocconcini, one tomato, and one more basil leaf. Continue until all skewers are done.
- Place in pretty platter or sturdy-bottomed cups and serve. Keep covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator if not serving immediately. Basil leaves will wilt if left in the sun for long.