Chicken in Saffron, Garlic and Almond Sauce recipe
Having saffron be so expensive, I’m always a bit nervous to use it. I don’t want to use it in a dish that isn’t up to snuff or accidentally spill it. This recipe was developed by Bon Appétit’s Test Kitchen director, who learned a similar method from her host mother in Spain while studying in the U.S. As long as it comes from Spain, it’s likely to be authentic and will be a good use for my precious saffron!
As I made the sauce, I found it a bit confusing, so I tweaked the wording in steps 1 & 2 so that it can be understood by everyone, and I can follow it again. It can be thickened with a little more cooked bread and ground almonds, but I found the consistency just right. The crunchiness of the almonds coupled with the slightly saltiness of the chicken tastes quite good. Saffron’s yellow color made me think back to my time in Madrid and Barcelona. I hope you taste it! Salud!
Chicken in Saffron, Garlic and Almond Sauce Recipe
Working Time: 30 minutes
Overall Time: 50 minutes
The following ingredients are included in this recipe.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) sliced almonds
- 1 cup half-inch cubes of crustless white bread
- Two whole garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup of low-sodium chicken broth
- a third cup of dry Sherry or white wine.
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper freshly ground plus more to season
- 1/3 teaspoon saffron threads
- Kosher salt
- Chicken thighs and drumsticks – 2 or 3.
- Half an onion, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley chopped for garnish.
Here are the directions:
- Two tablespoons olive oil are heated over medium heat in a large heavy pot. Stir in the almonds until they turn golden brown, 2 minutes; transfer immediately to paper towels and then to three tablespoons in the food processor. Reserve the remaining almonds for garnish.
- Put bread cubes and garlic in same pot. Toast the bread for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp and golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the contents to the blender. Add to the blender the broth, Sherry, pepper, salt and a pinch of saffron; blend briefly until almost smooth. Set aside.
- Put remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil into same pot and heat over medium heat. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Turn heat down if necessary, cook until chicken is golden brown on all sides, about 12 minutes in total (this step ends with the skin being browned). Remove chicken from the pan and transfer it onto a plate.
- Sprinkle onion into pot; cook, constantly stirring, until onion is caramelized around edges, about 5 minutes. Place chicken and sauce in pot, push chicken down so that it is submerged or pour sauce over the chicken thoroughly. Add the chicken to the sauce, cover, and simmer until just cooked, about 25 minutes. Feel free to season to taste with pepper and salt.
- Add toasted almonds and chopped parsley to each bowl. Divide chicken and sauce among bowls.