Since my parents were going to visit during the week of July 4th, I created a pasta salad in advance that would be summery and would keep well in the refrigerator. I used a pasta salad from The Sister’s Cafe as inspiration to create my own recipe. Besides the black olives, pepperoni or salami slices, diced cooked chicken or bell pepper, I could add many more ingredients to this summertime dish over the years. The pasta salad I’ve made goes well with roasted chicken I’m planning to cook tomorrow evening.
Pasta Salad for Summer
This recipe serves 4 people.
The total time spent was 20 minutes.
- Two and a half cups spiral pasta (rotini)
- A quarter cup of Italian or a third cup of Ranch dressing
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- Cut 1/2 cup cucumber into half moons and slice thinly
- One tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- A third cup of baby carrots, sliced lengthwise.
- Approximately 1/2 tablespoon of parsley, fresh or dried
- Fresh or dried basil, 1 tablespoon
- One tablespoon of garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse pasta under cold water for about 1 minute, then drain and cook according to package directions.
- Mix the salad ingredients in a large bowl while the pasta is cooking. This includes the dressing of your choice, cucumber, tomato, lemon juice, carrots, and all the spices except salt and pepper.
- The pasta should be rinsed under cold water and drained completely. Add salt and pepper, taste to adjust seasoning and refrigerate until ready to serve. Add olive oil or dressing if needed next day and toss again.