With spring starting to emerge, cold and flu season should be ending. However, this healthy, hearty soup recipe will help to keep the germs at bay until the very end. Is there a better lunch or dinner choice than chicken soup? It will make your insides and outsides feel warm and comfortable, like tucking your internal organs in a blanket…maybe that’s a bit long but you get the idea.
The addition of parmesan rind enhances the soup broth, making it slightly saltier and richer in flavor. My fridge didn’t have spinach, so I skipped it but I loved the carrot and celery that were still crisp. The perfect light dinner was served alongside some rolls with fresh butter.
Chicken & Spinach Soup with Parmesan Broth and Lemon
Adapted from: Soup of the Day: 365 Recipe for Every Day of the Year.
The meal is suitable for 2 to 3 people.
The following ingredients are used:
- A skinless, bone-free chicken breast half
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- Half a small yellow onion, chopped
- A large carrot, peeled and chopped.
- Celery, 1 large stick, chopped
- Minced 2 garlic cloves
- A 1-inch (2.5-cm.) piece of Parmesan cheese rind for garnishing, plus cheese shavings as a garnish
- Chicken broth, 3 cups
- Juice of half a lemon
- One handful of spinach, stems removed
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper
The directions are as follows:
- Combine the chicken breasts with cold water in a small saucepan, filling it up by 1 inch. Over medium-high heat, allow the mixture to a boil. Skim any foam on the surface of the chicken and simmer until the chicken becomes opaque throughout, 15-18 minutes. Put the chicken on a wide plate and let it cool. Shred the chicken.
- Put the oil into a heavy medium pot and warm over medium-high heat. When the onion and carrot are translucent, about 5 minutes, add the celery, carrot, and garlic. Put the Parmesan rind, broth, Once the spinach is wilted, add the chicken, stir constantly, and continue simmering until the chicken is cooked.and lemon juice in a pot and bring to a boil uncovered, for 15 minutes. Then add the spinach and chicken and continue to simmer, stirring constantly, just until the spinach is wilted. Parmesan rind should be removed and discarded; add salt and pepper to taste. Top with coarsely chopped Parmesan shavings.